Altering the way you look can be a scaring yet enthralling experience. Rhinoplasty does not only do wonders to your nose, but can altogether alter the way your whole face looks. The experience can be frightening initially and might lead to weeks or even months of discomfort, but with the following tips and tricks, we’re sure you will be prepared to have an easier and more comfortable rhinoplasty experience–
- Nicotine slows down the healing process, so make sure that you stop smoking at least 2 weeks before your surgery.
- Discontinue any consumption of drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, and herbal supplements for at least a couple of weeks before and after rhinoplasty.
- Keep lip balm and a lot of cool beverages handy as your mouth will become dry from all the breathing you will be doing through it.
- It is better to stock up on your medications beforehand as it will be difficult to run any errands immediately after the surgery.
- Rely on some friends or family to take care of you for a few days post-operation. You’ll need the help and support of your near and dear ones after your surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Button down shirts are better than shirts that pull over the head as there is no chance of them getting in contact with the operated area.
- Speak to your doctor– if you have any doubts or questions, it is better to clear them than regretting later.
- Arrange transportation for after your surgery as you will not be able to drive yourself home.
- Complete any strenuous tasks beforehand as you will not be able to heavy-lift for weeks post-surgery.
- Settle your anxiety. Fix a talk with your doctor if you are anxious. It is important to put your faith in your doctor and be frank with what you want to get done to your nose. Also put your faith in your doctor’s advice. Being a professional, they will know better.
- Watch out for anyone who might bump your nose. Be careful around pets and children. Also, it is recommended that you sleep alone so that you avoid bumping your nose into your bedmate.
- To avoid swelling, keep your head elevated on multiple pillows while sleeping.
- To minimize fluid retention in the nasal tip, a low salt diet should be consumed after the operation.
- For at least two weeks, consume soft foods only.
- To promote healing and prevent swelling, wear sunscreen and a hat while going out.
- Do not wear eyeglasses post-surgery for at least 3-4 weeks. Switch to lenses if you can.
- Be regular on your medication to prevent pain.
- Sleep a lot! Sleeping promotes healing process in the body. So sleep all you want once you are done with your rhinoplasty.
- Make sure to stay connected to your doctor to reach out for any advice on how to blow your nose other nasal issues.
- Be patient. Healing takes time. Your face might look swollen or bruised immediately after the surgery but remember that it is not the way you’re going to look all the time. Your healed look will be different and better than ever.